Friday, February 11, 2011

Response to JONNIKA DIXON Wk2-Reading: Possibilities

@ Jonnika
I totally agree with the use of the word “revelation” to describe this week’s reading assignment. You bring up a important point about the impact of the way the world utilizes measurements such as grades. It is a sad state of affairs when educators are forced to teach to a test instead of being able to focus on performance. As you said, grades are forgotten but performance has a lasting affect. When we tie this all together with The Art of Possibilities, an important question must be answered: Are we teaching students to get an A or to GIVE an A as described by the Zanders?

Jonnika posted on her Blog: http://www.jondiconsult.com/week-2.html
"As I read over chapters 1-4 of Zander's Art of Possibilities, immediately i gained a sense of revelation. New insight that connected me spiritually to what my pastor had been preaching all of these years, and not realignment of myself and my goals. The first chapter talks about how it is "All Invented," which made me challenge myself and to wonder how I assessed situations, and did not recognize that I was limiting myself from becoming successful. We make assumptions by the constraints we see, or what we have been brain washed into believing. The idea is to think outside of the box, and turn your attitude around to knowing and believing that anything is possible. Chapter 2 discusses how we live in a world of measurements. In school we aspire to make high grades. Grades are a way of measuring the skill or knowledge we have in the area or subject. (Well supposedly) However, the real measure occurs when this knowledge and skill needs to be applied. So then do we measure the grade against the application? In my opinion, the answer is "No" the grade is long forgotten and the application is the new measurement. So the challenge lies in reversing the mindset of just measuring up to now demonstrating the skill or knowledge. In education I am a firm supporter of project based learning, where the quality and demonstration actually proves whether the student has gained the knowledge or skill, rather than giving a grade, to say well you measure up! Chapter 3, discusses giving an A, my simple comment is that no one gets an "A" people should always try to give more than what is expected, achieve higher. Chapter 4, discusses being a contributor, Zander points out that resources become available to you when you give. He also says that, "the conductor does not make a sound, he relies on his power to power others." In this very lesson I once again connected the dots to my spiritual journey and the psalm that says it is far more greater to give than receive. Notice how a leader is not a great leader unless he is a servant, a good servant. Zander references to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr, a servant of the people, a legacy, a great leader. So thus far this book has empowered me to think outside of the box, apply my knowledge, achieve higher, and use my talents to serve."

Comic art created by Jacqueline Jones using tools at ToonDoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment