Friday, February 18, 2011

Wk3-Reading: The Art of Possibility, Chapters 5-8



You know, if everyone saw themselves as a leader, individuals would take more responsibility for their own actions. And, they would appreciate what others have to offer to the team. I use to facilitate a leadership program in a company and we called it "niche" leadership. The concept promoted the idea that each person was a leader in their assigned roles and others depended on them. This concept is hindered when Rule Number 6 is violated.

I went through this period of time where I too myself too seriously. I am probably more challenged by my calculating self on a personal level. Now, if I can't laugh at work, it is probably not the right environment for me. The example in the book where the executive posted "Remember Rule Number 6" in the work area for all employees proves that sometimes the violation of that rule comes from the top. So, if we are temporarily trapped in an environment where Rule Number 6 is being violated, we have to lead from our chair and make a positive impact.

Chapter 7 was an eye opener because reality does have its place. In the opening dialogue, the Duck says, "The way things are stinks." Here is a photo by Terry Border, the Bent Objects Artist, that illustrates this point. Let's take for instance the how the economy has affected people.  My Pastor shared a story about an executive who lost his job.  He was unsuccessful in finding anything comparable to his previous position.  He omitted things on his resume to get a job at Subway making sandwiches so he could feed his family.  In that role, he lead from "his chair," which was noticed by the higher ups. Well, within six months he was promoted to manager and later to district manager.  He was what the Zander's call "present" in the way things were but he did not accept it.

I love working in a creative environment.  In fact, when I talk about my work as an instructional designer, people always respond with the word "passionate."  I am also fortunate to work around others who are passionate about what they do.  I have been on the other side of the fence and it is not a nice situation.


Artwork by Terry Border: http://bentobjects.blogspot.com

5 comments:

  1. @ Jacqueline
    I really liked your Voki! Leading from your chair was one of the most insightful chapters for me. Often, people believe that they have to be in high positions to lead but your story is proven example of what initiative can do and be. I know of a similar situation where a guy lied about having a Masters so he could qualify for an office job due to the economy. He went on to become the assistant to the Vice President. Leading from your chair requires you to use the art of possibility and to challenge, challenge, challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jacqueline,
    Great post! Totally got a kick out of your Voki introducing yourself. I think it is absolutely incredible that we have the possibility of being creative. It's a truly a shame that so many people waste the plethora of opportunities in a given day to release the inner creativity inside us all because they choose to look at their lives from a "calculated self" perspective. I think this is where much of what Zander speaks of anyhow. Through all the examples and stories that the book discusses I seem to always find myself thinking about the creative mind that we all have. Your story about the executive is really a great example of the "Leading from your Chair" chapter in the book. I think this is something that we can all be encouraged and influenced by no matter where we are at in life. Thanks for sharing Jacqueline!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jacqueline,

    I really liked your Voki. It was a fun way to start your presentation. In regards to your comments about the book, I couldn't agree with you more on the violation of rule six and how we need humor to survive a high-stress job. I think that the more personal relationships you build with your co-workers, there are more possibilities of lightening up a dull work environment.

    I also appreciate the fact that you share the anecdote your pastor told you. Many times, we're so immersed on our current situation that we can't see the possibilities that would open up to us if we were willing to take initiative like that guy that went to work at Subway. We had a tough time last summer too when my husband was laid off and we had just purchased our first home two months earlier and suddenly, it seemed that everything was going to crumble. At first, he wanted a 'good' job but soon he realized that coming out of college, laid off with less than a year experience he was not going to get anywhere he wanted to be. When he decided to take what was there, he got a job, he is learning a lot with them and his boss has suggested him to take the leadership training with them to take a higher position. I think that when we act, a world of possibilities opens up to us. However, if we are passive, and we wait for change, it will never come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Saray for sharing that personal story. It takes courage to change directions or step into the unknown. And, as you said, when we do the possibilities start showing up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photo, so sad... and yummy :-)

    ReplyDelete