Friday, February 18, 2011

Response to TIM BREHMS Wk3-Reading: I See the Light


@ Tim
Thanks for sharing that story. You reminded me that we all thought like that when we were kids. As we get older, we start to store memories of someone telling us we can’t or “that’s not right.” Kids have a can do attitude in general who are threatened to grow up to be a “won’t do” adult in fear of how the world will respond. The earlier chapters in the book talked about this. It really hits home when you link all the chapters together. So, I too see the light.

Photo by Terry Border: http://www.bentobjects.blogspot.com/

Tim Brehms said on his blog post: http://www.tjbrehm.com/

In my last reading post I had stated I wasn’t real thrilled with our reading, well, I have seen the light! I can’t believe how much this book is touching my heart. The content is not only good to use in education, but in all parts of my life.

On the subject of leadership, I agree with the text wholeheartedly. I feel if we let children partake in their education, play an active part in educating themselves, we give them relevance for what they are learning. During my AR Cycle 2, I asked the students to try a new technique with the 3D modeling program, wether they saw it on the internet or made it up them selves. Then I had them share it with the class. I told them it didn’t matter if they able to make it work or not. At first they seemed embarrassed if the procedure they tried had failed. After the presentations I asked the class how can we make these procedures happen? How can we make these good idea’s work? After a brief silence, suggestions started flying out of their mouths so fast I couldn’t keep up with writing them all down. We were able to complete a few during class, but what is most surprising to me was a few days later they had still been working on some of the ideas, as a group, on their own time. Each was a leader in their own right. There was no making fun of a procedure that had failed, only a group of leaders working together to reach a common goal. If only the leaders of all the countries in the world thought and worked together like this…..

As for “Rule #6″ I learned that one after Desert Storm. Life is to short don’t take it or yourself to seriously. Enjoy and be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment