Friday, February 18, 2011

Response to PAMELA HICKMAN Wk3-Reading: Chapters 5-8

@ Pam

It is interesting that you point out the skill “listening.” I think the Zanders are telling us that we have to listen to ourselves as well as our students. I believe in order to be good at what you do is to become as lifelong learner as you mentioned. If everyone took that attitude, the world would be a better place. But listening is a very important skill that has heavy consequences when not exercised. Many times expectations are not met because we did not hear or listen to the requirements in the first place. One of my favorite songs from the Dream Girls movie was “Listen” performed by Beyonce.

Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1rLZfAfQLM&feature=related




Pam said on her blog post:
http://pamelahickman.blogspot.com/2011/02/week-3-blog-post-1-ch5-8.html

After reading this week’s reading the most valuable thing that I took away from it was teachers are enablers. We teach students skills such as reading, writing, math, etc. but it is completely up to the student what they do with it. The only way a teacher can be great is by the work produced by the students. I liked how the reading pointed out that a conductor cannot be great without the orchestra. The students we teach everyday are our orchestra we as teachers have to be willing to learn from our students in order to be great teachers. My mother has always told me "your leadership is only as good as how well you listen." If you don't listen to what your students are trying to teach you as an educator than how can we properly service our classrooms? When I became an educator I devoted myself to life long learning and sometime that means swallowing my pride and learning from my students.

No comments:

Post a Comment